In France, the number of burglaries is alarming with an average of 400,000 burglaries per year, or one burglary per minute.
Burglaries in France
December, July and August are the most favourable months for burglars, periods when people are often away from their homes. However, one out of three burglaries occurs in the presence of the inhabitants, which is called a home-jacking.
Burglaries can cause serious financial damage, especially when you don’t have a record of your valuables. They can also cause post-traumatic stress, especially in the case of a home invasion.
The 8 rules of home protection
It is therefore crucial to take the necessary measures to protect your home against burglaries. Here are some practical tips to help you do so:
1. Double locking your door is a simple but essential step in preventing burglaries. If you are home, always lock the door behind you to avoid unpleasant surprises. In addition, this can deter potential burglars who may abandon their attempt if they see that the door is locked.
2. Be vigilant throughout the day. Avoid leaving clues that you are not home, such as keys under the mat or open windows. Also, don’t put your name and address on your key ring to make it easier for burglars to get in.
3. Don’t let anyone you don’t know in without checking their identity. It is important not to leave suspicious people alone in your home and to keep your valuables in a safe place. If you have any doubts about the person’s identity, do not hesitate to check with a neighbor or call the police.
4. To protect your valuables, take pictures of them and keep receipts so that you can report them in the event of a burglary. This can also make it easier for your insurer to pay you compensation.
5. A security system can add an extra layer of protection to your home. There are several options to suit your needs and budget, such as armored doors, reinforced shutters, alarms, etc. Make sure you have installed a system that meets your expectations and budget.
6. If you have valuables in your home, safes are particularly effective solutions for protecting valuables such as jewelry, important documents, cash, etc. Safes can be of different types, depending on the quantity of objects to be stored and their value.
There are free-standing and built-in security safes, which can be used to protect your most valuable items. These are often made from heavy metals such as steel, making them almost impenetrable. It is also possible to install a wall safe, which can be hidden behind a picture or shelf for extra protection.
It is important to choose a high-quality safe that meets European security standards and is equipped with key or code locks. Finally, it is recommended that you have your safe installed by a professional. This will ensure that it is installed correctly and that it functions properly.
7. If you notice a breach, call the police immediately. Leave the scene of the crime as is to facilitate the investigation and do not attempt to intervene if the perpetrators are still present. The safety of you and your family is the priority in the event of a burglary.
8. If you are the victim of a burglary, file a report immediately at the police station. You must report the theft to your insurance company within two business days of the crime. This process can help facilitate compensation and assist the police in their investigation. Take care of yourself after a burglary, as it can cause significant post-traumatic stress.
By following these tips, you will be able to better protect your home from burglary. Be vigilant and take steps to feel safe in your home.